Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reframing



I chose the Dali picture I did because it’s just so interesting and I find looking at it to be almost uncomfortable. I love that I got such a strong emotional reaction to a simple image on a screen. I chose to reframe the picture the way I did because that area of the picture appeared to me to be the lightest section of the whole piece and yet it’s still so dark. The way he’s clutching the side of the egg, to me, gives this sense of anguish to the picture. I believe Dali framed the picture the way he did, was to bring all the other elements into the picture that make it darker, creepier, and more intense than it would be with just the man coming out of the egg. What I love about the original frame is how lines are perceived in the picture. There are tons of virtual and actual lines leading the eye straight to the egg, from the man in the bottom right’s hand, to the boy’s gaze, and the things hanging down above the egg, they all make the egg appear more prevalent without it being all that obvious and most of these lines are linear, with maybe a slight curve for the things hanging over the egg. I also find it very interesting that there are so many shot types within the frame; you could consider it to be an extreme wide shot, due to the fact that you’re seeing the characters inside the location. It also appears to be a three shot at first glance, between the man in the egg, the man on the right, and the little boy, but if you look closer you can see three more people in the background, two on the left and one on the right. I find it to be interesting that there is so much contrast between the line and shape of the picture and feelings that are actually portrayed. There are so many round shapes in the picture which would normally point to a feeling of warmth and happiness yet the frame invokes a rather eerie dark feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment